Thursday, October 25, 2012

Enjoying Nature

I don't know about you, but every year when the weather starts to take a down turn, I get a little bit less excited about being outside than I normally do. Don't get me wrong, there are some beautiful and amazing things about being outside in the autumn, but some days the weather is just too dreary and dull. In fact, generally this time of year is when I get the most reading done in my spare time because I spend so much more time indoors hiding from the weather that I could basically be a librarian!

Today, though, was a different story. I am currently in the tail end of a month long series of training sessions for a job that I started in September. It has eaten up a lot of my time, which it should, and it has meant that a lot of my time is spent indoors and transitioning from heated room to heated vehicle to heated house. When I step outside after my training is over, I'm not exactly thrilled to see that it is raining again or that I have to put my huge ski parka back on because otherwise I'd freeze to death!
IMG_0134
Anyway, to make a short story way longer than it probably needs to be, I stepped out of my training today and discovered that it was actually sunny outside. It wasn't warm (keep in mind that I live in Washington state and when the sun is out, it's generally still cold), but it was a nice change from the sad weather outside. One of my favorite things to do in the autumn season is to take walks and enjoy nature. It's good exercise, it allows me to appreciate the changing of the seasons, and I feel more connected to my community when I go for a walk. 
IMG_0135
I found some of these little nuts on my walk. That's a whole other story, but basically when I first discovered them, I thought they were chestnuts and was very disappointed to find out that they are actually horse chestnuts and are poisonous. At least I'm informed now!
IMG_0136
I also spotted the coolest sustainable play fort today made from scavenged car parts, reclaimed windows, roofing scraps and wooden crates. If I was a kid, and if that was my house, I would be all over it!
IMG_0137
I also found another oak tree, this one being a black oak which has a totally different kind of acorns. Aren't they cute!
IMG_0138
Last but not least, this is probably the cutest house I've ever seen and I would move in immediately if I was financially able (never mind the current tenants!). Their yard is so homey with the plants and trees. I can just imagine the little window seat with some hanging plants and a little bookshelf underneath for a cozy afternoon. Have you been enjoying nature lately? What have you spotted on your mini-adventures?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear comments! You can leave a comment as Anonymous but I would also love to know who you are and what you think of my blog!