Sunday, November 4, 2012

Thrift Shopping

One of my good friends introduced me to this video yesterday as we were talking about a pair of pants I scored at a thrift shop for $6.15! I spent about the same amount of money on a glass of mead... you heard that right, I spent slightly more money on a pair of perfectly good condition jeans as I did on a tasty beverage! 
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - Thrift Shop (Explicit Version)
I love thrift shopping because I always find what I need. There are also so many benefits to buying used...
1) Reduce Landfills!
-Whether you donate your slightly used belongings or you purchase other people's discarded things, you are doing your part to reduce waste. Go you!
2) Save Money
-I am on a tight budget, especially since I get paid once a month at my current job, so I need to pinch my pennies wherever I can. I would much rather spend money supporting my local farmer by purchasing organic vegetables than supporting a chain retail store that sells overpriced and under-loved garments.
3) Increased Awareness
I can only speak for myself, but when I purchase my clothing at a thrift shop, I am more aware of the consumerist nature of society. I find clothing that looks absolutely brand new when I go to thrift shops and I wonder why people decided to get rid of it in the first place. It makes me appreciate my clothing that much more because I spent the time to find something that fit me well, something I absolutely love and something that makes me feel good wearing it.

So what better way to spend your Sunday than scavenging the racks of your nearest thrift store to find a great new wardrobe piece? (hint hint) Have a great Sunday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear comments! You can leave a comment as Anonymous but I would also love to know who you are and what you think of my blog!